Sunday 20 June 2021

#CoachingConversationNo1

#CoachingConversationNo1 (with client)

Poh-Sun Goh

20 June 2021, 0720pm, Singapore Time


Client: What will we be doing during our Coaching conversation?

Coach: I will be focused on listening, and observing - what you say, and how you say it (how you embody yourself to the world - to me - your posture, words, tone, facial expressions, emotion and mood).

Intermittently, I will signal you to pause, to allow both you, and me, to collect your/my thoughts, touch base with each other, to check that you feel you are communicating what you intend, to encourage you to reflect on what you have shared, and to explore areas which you have shared. 

Intermittently, I will also get you to undertake several 'micro-exercises' (if necessary) to shift your mood (for example by shifting your posture - exploring being open, flexible, grounded and resolute; by shifting your breathing - deeper, slower, quicker, more mindfully; and by sharing general frames of mental reference and mental models to view yourself-your world.


Ontological Coaching Session Script - TAPOM Program (Version 1.1, by Poh Sun Goh, 19 June 2021, 0645am; updated Version 2.1, 19 June 2021, 0337pm; and Version 3.1, 21 June 2021, 0440am, Singapore Time)

Hi …

Over lunch or coffee, (30 minutes to one hour), let me offer you an experience of an ontological coaching process, with you as the person being coached, and me taking on the role of coach.

With your permission, I will digitally record this session, for your records and to review, and also to allow my coach to analyse our interaction. His feedback and comments on our session will be shared with both myself, and you by email.

This whole process will be confidential between you, me and my coach.

Let’s start.

I will begin by getting some information about your background, and our current practice and work setting, for the benefit of my coach (who will review our interaction as a digital audio file).

Tell me about your background, and your personal and professional aspirations and goals (at work).

I will be both listening and taking notes to take our discussions further into areas that you bring up.

[Will next spend at least 10 to 20 minutes listening, taking notes, asking open ended and follow up questions, and specifically not offering any advice]

Intermittently, will touch base, and summarise my observations, to ‘fact check’ and ‘impression check’ with my ‘client’.

We have spent the last 15 to 30 minutes or so interacting and exploring areas of your interest, concerns and priorities. 

Let me summarise these to make sure I have ‘heard’ you accurately and completely. 

Please let me know what insights you have gained from this process.

What would you like to ask me specifically about areas which you have brought up?

What actions and practices follow on from this coaching session.

[At 30 minutes, or end of lunch hour, bring session to close, thank client, and promise to email digital file to both client and my coach as three individual confidential email (client, myself and my coach), for my coach to then add his comments to this interaction, for both myself, and my client]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.